Bail and O.R.

Bail and O.R.

After you have been arrested, you may be wondering about bail and getting released from jail. This is when you need the experience of seasoned criminal defense firm to help you figure all this out.

I have just been arrested and would like to make bail. What must I do?

Before you do anything else, you should talk with an experienced criminal defense lawyer. If you make the wrong decision, your bail could end up costing you thousands of dollars more.

With an experienced criminal attorney at your side, you could be released from jail without bail, which is called being released on your own recognizance, a promise that you will appear in court without payment.

Our attorneys have secured many O.R. releases, saving their clients thousands in fees. The attorney you hire can help you find a bail bondsman that is both trustworthy and inexpensive.

What does it mean by being released on one’s own recognizance? How does an O.R. work?

O.R. stands for being released on your own recognizance. This is a process in which a defendant is released upon a written or verbal agreement to appear in court. With an O.R., the defendant is not required to post bail or a bond. Your attorney can make a motion in court that you be released on your own recognizance or to have bail lowered if you were not cite released by the jail.

In evaluating a defense motion to lower bail or grant an O.R. release, the court will consider:

  • Community ties such as homeowner, length of time in community, length of time at job, etc.
  • Past criminal history, including violent crimes and/or history of FTAs (failing to appear)
  • Current criminal charge(s): How serious of a crime are you facing? Will the release place others in harm’s way?


If I choose to bail out of jail, how are you able to save me money?

Our criminal defense attorneys have developed and built a reputable, reliable bond with many of the bail businesses in San Bernardino and Riverside County. It is these relationships that allows us to help clients obtain rates which save them hundreds of dollars. On top of the rates, our clients can rest assured that they will get the best service possible.

I was informed that I am being investigated and could face charges. Does this mean that I can be arrested at any point?

The answer to that question is fairly obvious, but yes. After a crime has been committed, the police will perform their investigation, leaving your freedom in their hands. Once the investigation is complete, the findings will be given to the District Attorney to file charges. If this happens, an arrest warrant can be issued. Whether you are at home or at work, law enforcement can arrest you based on that warrant.

Do not get caught off guard and wind up in jail.

Our Results Speak for Themselves

Client charged with possession for sales and gang enhancement. Client faced 16 years in prison with the gang and prior strike allegation. Client turned down 8 year pretrial offer with prior attorney before going to trial. Not guilty on all charges at trial. (People v. Antwan B.)

Client charged with attempt murder, accessory after the fact and gang enhancement after shots fired at a dwelling. Client turned down 15 year pretrial offer. During trial, plea deal reached for probation with time served. (People v. Rudy B.)

Client charged with resisting arrest, obstruction of justice when cops performed a probation sweep at her residence.  Client found not guilty on all counts at jury trial. (People v. Felicia M.)

Client charged with corporal injury to girlfriend after argument allegedly escalated. Client had significant exposure of 21 years because of prior strike, probation violation and GBI allegation. At trial, jury refused to convict client, returning hung verdict. (People v. Christopher P.)

Client charged with possession of methamphetamine for sale after traffic stop. Client claimed prejudice by prosecution’s delay in bringing the case to court. Motion filed on behalf of client asking the Court to dismiss the case as violative of client’s speedy trial rights. Motion granted and case dismissed. (People v. Shannon J.)