Experienced Criminal Defense Attorneys
In California, criminal offenses involving sexual activity are described as “sex crimes”. Classified as either felonies or misdemeanors, these offenses can result in serious penalties including prison sentences and a difficult to shake social stigma. If you’ve been charged with a California sex crime, a criminal defense lawyer can help.
Common California Sex Crimes
Some of the most common sex crimes that our lawyers encounter include:
- Date rape. Under California Penal Code 261(a), it is against the law for a person to commit rape in the state or an actual of sexual intercourse with a person who is not a spouse. While force is not required, it is often part of this offense.
- Failure to register as a sex offender (Penal Code 290). If a person commits certain sex crimes, the individual will be required to register as a sex offender. Any violation of registration requirements can lead to a person facing serious offenses.
- Indecent exposure (Penal Code 314). This offense occurs when any person exposes their genitals around someone who will be annoyed or offended. To be convicted of this offense, a person must intend to direct public attention to their genitals.
- Lewd acts with a child (Penal Code 288). Offenses of this type occur when a person touches a child’s genitals or gets a touch to touch that person’s genitals. The offense can involve skin contact or clothing but must be done for sexual purposes.
- Lewd conduct (Penal Code 647(a)). This offense occurs when a person touches someone’s genitals for sexual pleasure in a location open to public view. The offense requires that person committing the act knows that someone else is present.
- Oral copulation by force or fear. California Penal Code 288(a) states that this offense involves oral copulation through fear, force, or threats.
- Possession of child pornography (Penal Code 311). A person in California who either imports or possesses child pornography for sale or distribution is considered to have committed a criminal offense.
- Prostitution (Penal Code 653.22). If a person agrees to engage in prostitution with someone else, that the person commits a criminal offense. This offense requires that a person intends to prostitute themselves and to commit the act. The similar act of soliciting a prostitute occurs when a person requests that another individual engages in prostitution.
- Rape (Penal Code 261). This offense involves sex with someone who is not a spouse and is characterized by either fear of injury or force. The rape can apply to unconscious people, intellectually disabled individuals, and intoxicated people as well as many other situations.
- Sexual battery. This offense which is codified at California Penal Code 243.4 prohibits a person from touching another person’s genitals for sexual gratification against the victim’s will.
Responding to San Bernardino Sex Crime Charges
If you or a loved one has been charged with a sex crime in California, it is critical to obtain the assistance of a skilled criminal defense lawyer. At Amicus Legal Group, we fight false allegations. Whether it’s negotiating a lesser charge or dismissing charges completely, we can help.
Defending Against California Sex Crimes
If you’ve been charged with a sex crime in California, our lawyers can help you create a strong defense strategy. Some ways that we can defend against these charges include:
- Arguing that the sexual act was consensual rather than against the victim’s will
- Demonstrating that the victim’s accusations are false
- Establishing that the person being charged was mistaken as the perpetrator
- Proving that there was no actual sexual contact between the parties
- Showing that prosecution lacks adequate evidence
John-Paul is an extremely effective criminal defense attorney. The one thing that makes him stand out from other defense attorneys is that he talks to his clients to learn the circumstances surrounding their incident and then he makes a forceful and articulate argument in defense of his clients. I recommend my clients to John-Paul when they are in need of a criminal defense attorney because I know he will stand up for them.
Attorney John Paul-Serrao helped us to win our case against the insurance company after we were involved in a traffic accident where our car was rear ended, we tried to handle it ourselves with the insurance company and they did not want to cooperate with us, so we hired Mr. Serrao and he was able to get us a settlement above with the insurance company was willing to pay. I would highly recommend him.
I had the pleasure of working a very large scale drug case with Mr. Serrao, representing co-defendants. Mr. Serrao was a pleasure to work with. Highly skilled and very aggressive in his advocacy on his client’s behalf. I highly recommend Mr. Serrao for anyone looking for a criminal defense attorney.
Occasionally you meet another attorney who is so impressive both personally and professionally that you want to be affiliated with them in any way you can both personally and professionally. That is how I feel about John-Paul. I not only consider him one of the finest attorneys I know, but I now proudly call him my friend. He is among the very best.
John-Paul is well known in our community as a smart and effective criminal defense lawyer who is sensitive to his clients’ situations and responsive to their needs. I refer my clients to him with confidence when they need help with the criminal justice system.
John-Paul is a superb attorney. He was my mentor when I was in law school, and now as an attorney I still go to him for advice on complex cases. When my brother required representation I referred him to John-Paul. That is how highly I think of JP as an attorney. I would highly recommend him to anyone who needs representation.
Mr. Serrao worked on my DUI charge earlier this year and all I can say is WOW! Not only did he keep me updated with the case but his knowledge of the process helped calm my nerves, which was very important to me. He showed care for me as a client and I can’t thank him enough. I would recommend him to anyone in need of a quality criminal defense attorney.
John-Paul took my civil case when no one else would because other lawyers didn’t have confidence in my daughter who has special needs to testify, if needed. John-Paul won her case against the school district without a jury because he cared about my child, believed she was honest and deserved justice. He still doesn’t mind taking my calls whenever I have a question regarding her case.