Los Angeles Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Pedestrian Safety is Key
Hardly anyone expects to be injured when performing a task as simple as walking. However, accidents happen all the time and all it takes is the right combination of distraction and negligence. If you have been hit by a vehicle, pay attention to the following:
To avoid injury, be vigilant as you walk. Always use a crosswalk instead of crossing the street haphazardly. Studies show most accidents involving pedestrians happen at non-intersection locations or non-marked spots. If you know you are going to be walking at night, wear reflective gear. Drivers cannot always see a person walking in the dark until the vehicle is too close and too late.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Always use the designated walking areas
- Walk facing traffic if you do not have a sidewalk
- Stay alert – avoid focusing on your phone or using headphones
- Never assume a driver sees you
- Be visible and wear reflective gear, if possible
- Consider taking a rideshare if you are under the influence
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Always assume pedestrians are nearby
- Never pass a car that was stopped in front of you. They could be letting a pedestrian pass that you cannot see.
- Never drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Drive the speed limit. Increased speed is a major factor in over half of the accidents involving pedestrians.
- Stay focused in school zones and neighborhoods
Next Steps if You’ve Been Injured as a Pedestrian
- Immediately following impact, move as little as possible.
- Let the medics record your injuries. Do not assume you know what is injured on your body.
- Let the police record details of the accident.
- Ask for copies of all reports.
- If possible, get the name and insurance information of the driver who hit you.
- Provide all of this information to an attorney so that he or she can begin building a case for you.
If you are involved in a pedestrian accident, hire a lawyer to assist with the claim to get you the most compensation possible. You can recover expenses such as medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering from the at fault driver.
At Amicus Legal Group, we have 20 years of experience handling accident claims. If you have been injured, give us a call at (888) 588-1777 to see how we might be able to help.
John-Paul took my civil case when no one else would because other lawyers didn’t have confidence in my daughter who has special needs to testify, if needed. John-Paul won her case against the school district without a jury because he cared about my child, believed she was honest and deserved justice. He still doesn’t mind taking my calls whenever I have a question regarding her case.
Mr. Serrao worked on my DUI charge earlier this year and all I can say is WOW! Not only did he keep me updated with the case but his knowledge of the process helped calm my nerves, which was very important to me. He showed care for me as a client and I can’t thank him enough. I would recommend him to anyone in need of a quality criminal defense attorney.
John-Paul is a superb attorney. He was my mentor when I was in law school, and now as an attorney I still go to him for advice on complex cases. When my brother required representation I referred him to John-Paul. That is how highly I think of JP as an attorney. I would highly recommend him to anyone who needs representation.
John-Paul is an extremely effective criminal defense attorney. The one thing that makes him stand out from other defense attorneys is that he talks to his clients to learn the circumstances surrounding their incident and then he makes a forceful and articulate argument in defense of his clients. I recommend my clients to John-Paul when they are in need of a criminal defense attorney because I know he will stand up for them.
Attorney John Paul-Serrao helped us to win our case against the insurance company after we were involved in a traffic accident where our car was rear ended, we tried to handle it ourselves with the insurance company and they did not want to cooperate with us, so we hired Mr. Serrao and he was able to get us a settlement above with the insurance company was willing to pay. I would highly recommend him.
I had the pleasure of working a very large scale drug case with Mr. Serrao, representing co-defendants. Mr. Serrao was a pleasure to work with. Highly skilled and very aggressive in his advocacy on his client’s behalf. I highly recommend Mr. Serrao for anyone looking for a criminal defense attorney.
John-Paul is well known in our community as a smart and effective criminal defense lawyer who is sensitive to his clients’ situations and responsive to their needs. I refer my clients to him with confidence when they need help with the criminal justice system.
Occasionally you meet another attorney who is so impressive both personally and professionally that you want to be affiliated with them in any way you can both personally and professionally. That is how I feel about John-Paul. I not only consider him one of the finest attorneys I know, but I now proudly call him my friend. He is among the very best.