September 8, 2020
What are the Different Types of TBIs?
No one ever anticipates a brain injury. Yet each day, an automobile accident, a fall, or an accident of any type can result in a traumatic brain injury (also known as a TBI) that can have minor to severe and life-altering consequences for the victim. A victim or family should ask our Los Angeles TBI lawyer to help protect the rights of victims who are seriously injured in a California motor vehicle accident, motorcycle crash, medical malpractice incident, slip and fall, construction accident, or any other type of serious personal injury.
Traumatic brain injuries fall primarily into four different categories.
- Concussions can run the spectrum from minor to serious. Concussions that happen in succession, one after another before the first has had a chance to heal, are particularly dangerous. Concussions are common in accidents that cause the brain to move back and forth inside the skull as well as sports-related injuries.
- Brain contusions are bruises caused by broken blood vessels in the brain. These can be caused by any impact to the head and can range in severity from minor to severe contusions that can cause brain swelling and serious consequences.
- Penetrating injuries are those brain injuries where the force of an object pierces the skull to potentially make contact with the brain or cause fragments of the skull to make contact with the brain. Penetrating injuries can be caused by trauma, accidents, and gunshot wounds to the head.
- Anoxic brain injuries are caused when the brain is deprived of enough oxygen to work as it should. Anoxic brain injuries are often caused by the blockage of blood to the brain as blood flow is what carries oxygen.
- Diffuse axonal brain injuries are brain injuries caused by violent shakes or impacts to the head which can rip and tear brain tissue.
- Coup-contrecoup brain injuries are injuries to the brain caused by a whiplash motion which causes the brain to bounce back-and-forth in the skull and therefore sustaining injury.
Brain injuries affect millions of people in the United States annually and leave many permanently disabled after sustaining one. If you have sustained a traumatic brain injury in an accident due to the negligence of another, you should contact an experienced Los Angeles TBI lawyer to discuss your rights to financial compensation for your injuries. For more information and a FREE case review, contact us today at (888) 588-1777. We are ready and willing to help.