November 21, 2020
Hurt by a Distracted Driver in California: How Can I Recover Compensation?
According to research, distracted driving has surpassed drunk driving as one of the leading causes of accidents in California. And distracted driving is not just about texting while driving. In California, a distraction is anything that takes your eyes or mind off the road or hands off the steering wheel. Not only is cell phone usage and texting while driving considered a distraction — and illegal — but entering GPS information, eating or drinking, or even children and pets in the car can be considered distractions. Our Los Angeles distracted driving accident lawyer knows just how dangerous and deadly this can be for a victim and his or her family.
Consider some frightening distracted driving data from the above source:
- A driver is 23 times more likely to crash when texting.
- A driver who is texting takes his or her eyes off the road every 4.6 seconds.
- A driver is 4 to 5 times more likely to be involved in an accident when talking on the phone.
- Approximately 26 percent of car accidents involve some form of phone involvement.
- A driver can be looking yet not consciously process up to 50 percent of information in their environment when using the phone
There are also some California-specific statistics. These are also shocking and troubling. For instance, according to the Office of Traffic Safety, 62 percent of Californians have said that they have either been hit or almost hit by a driver using their phone while driving.
If you have been hit by a distracted driver, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Getting the advice and professional counsel of a Los Angeles distracted driver accident lawyer is critical to understanding your rights if you have been injured in a distracted driving accident. For more information and a FREE case review, contact us today at (888) 588-1777. We are ready and willing to help.