November 8, 2020
Common TBIs from a Motorcycle Accident in California
Because of the exposed nature of a motorcycle, traumatic brain injuries are very common in motorcycle accidents and those who ride are at significant risk of suffering a brain injury. Even though wearing a helmet is mandatory here in California, brain injuries continue to be one of the most common and destructive injuries when it comes to motorcycle use. This is because no even the best helmets can prevent injuries caused by the gross negligence of another person, business, or government entity. Our Los Angeles motorcycle TBI lawyer explains.
Types of TBIs
Motorcyclists suffer from multiple different types of traumatic brain injuries resulting from a motorcycle accident including:
- concussion — often referred to as a mild brain injury, we now know that concussions can be very serious, particularly when multiple concussions have been suffered sequentially
- contusion — a bruising of the brain
- coup-contrecoup injury — where the impact occurs on one side of the brain and the injury occurs on the other when the brain has struck the inside of the skull.
- epidural hematoma — when bleeding occurs inside the brain due to a tear to the meningeal artery
- subdural hematoma — one of the most serious of traumatic brain injuries, this is a rupture of many blood vessels within the brain
- penetrating brain injury — when foreign debris pieces and enters the brain
- diffuse axonal brain injury — when brain tissue tears as a result of a violent impact, and
- Many other types of serious head injuries.
Ask our Motorcycle TBI Lawyers for Help
While helmet technology has improved over the years and they significantly reduce the risk of brain injuries, there are still those times when a rider may suffer injuries due to an accident with a careless or negligent driver.
When that is the case, a rider may be entitled to compensation for costs associated with those injuries. If you have been diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury following a motorcycle accident, you should contact a Los Angeles motorcycle TBI lawyer to understand your rights. For more information and a FREE case review, contact us today at (888) 588-1777. We are ready and willing to help.