Domestic Violence Defense in California
The state of California takes domestic violence seriously and being convicted of this offense can negatively impact your future. These charges often result in penalties like jail time, large fines, and a damaged reputation. To minimize the impact of a domestic violence charge, one of the best steps that you can take is to promptly obtain the assistance of a domestic violence attorney.
Types of Domestic Violence Charges in Riverside
Domestic violence (Penal Code 273.5) involves any criminal offense that is committed against a certain group of people, which might include:
- Anyone that you’ve ever dated
- A cohabitant or former cohabitant
- A person you have a child with
- A spouse or former spouse
Children are not included in in this law. Instead, children are protected from violence by adults under the separate act of child abuse, which is found in Penal Code 273d.
Violence under these statutes need not always constitute physical abuse. Instead, domestic violence can include:
- Sexual abuse or forced sexual contact between parties
- Emotional abuse which harms a person’s self-worth or self-esteem
- Psychological abuse, which involves serious harm to a person’s emotions
Penalties Associated with Riverside Domestic Violence Charges
The penalties associated with a domestic violence conviction are often strict. Even the most minimal sentences can have serious consequences. Some of the penalties associated with domestic violence convictions include:
- Fines, which can be as much as $10,000
- Forced removal from a person’s residence
- Jail time from several days up to 4 years in prison
- Probation or parole
- Prohibitions on owning a firearm
- Required enrollment in a domestic violence and/or anger management program
Given the risk of these various penalties, it is a good idea to retain the assistance of a skilled defense lawyer to respond to these charges. Even if you are not able to entirely avoid charges, it is often possible to reduce the resulting penalties.
Speak with an Experienced Riverside Domestic Violence Lawyer
Defenses to Riverside Domestic Violence Charges
Some of the defenses that can be raised in response to domestic violence charges include:
- Sometimes, a lawyer will be able to establish that the harm was the result of consensual acts between the parties. If consent can be established, a person will have a strong defense to a domestic violence charge.
- Mistaken identity. A second type of strong defense is if it can be established that you were mistaken for the people who actually caused the damage or injuries. If you can establish that another party caused the harm, you cannot be convicted of someone else’s criminal activity.
- Self-defense. One of the most common strategies used to respond to domestic violence charges is that a person was simply attempting to protect themselves from another person’s actions.
John-Paul is an extremely effective criminal defense attorney. The one thing that makes him stand out from other defense attorneys is that he talks to his clients to learn the circumstances surrounding their incident and then he makes a forceful and articulate argument in defense of his clients. I recommend my clients to John-Paul when they are in need of a criminal defense attorney because I know he will stand up for them.
Attorney John Paul-Serrao helped us to win our case against the insurance company after we were involved in a traffic accident where our car was rear ended, we tried to handle it ourselves with the insurance company and they did not want to cooperate with us, so we hired Mr. Serrao and he was able to get us a settlement above with the insurance company was willing to pay. I would highly recommend him.
John-Paul is well known in our community as a smart and effective criminal defense lawyer who is sensitive to his clients’ situations and responsive to their needs. I refer my clients to him with confidence when they need help with the criminal justice system.
Occasionally you meet another attorney who is so impressive both personally and professionally that you want to be affiliated with them in any way you can both personally and professionally. That is how I feel about John-Paul. I not only consider him one of the finest attorneys I know, but I now proudly call him my friend. He is among the very best.
Mr. Serrao worked on my DUI charge earlier this year and all I can say is WOW! Not only did he keep me updated with the case but his knowledge of the process helped calm my nerves, which was very important to me. He showed care for me as a client and I can’t thank him enough. I would recommend him to anyone in need of a quality criminal defense attorney.
John-Paul took my civil case when no one else would because other lawyers didn’t have confidence in my daughter who has special needs to testify, if needed. John-Paul won her case against the school district without a jury because he cared about my child, believed she was honest and deserved justice. He still doesn’t mind taking my calls whenever I have a question regarding her case.
I had the pleasure of working a very large scale drug case with Mr. Serrao, representing co-defendants. Mr. Serrao was a pleasure to work with. Highly skilled and very aggressive in his advocacy on his client’s behalf. I highly recommend Mr. Serrao for anyone looking for a criminal defense attorney.
John-Paul is a superb attorney. He was my mentor when I was in law school, and now as an attorney I still go to him for advice on complex cases. When my brother required representation I referred him to John-Paul. That is how highly I think of JP as an attorney. I would highly recommend him to anyone who needs representation.