August 29, 2020
What are Hours of Service Violations in California 18-Wheeler Accidents?
Truck drivers are governed by regulations limiting the amount of time they are actively driving to protect against driver fatigue and resulting accidents. But violations of these hours of service (HOS) happen when truckers feel pressured to work within unreasonable timelines to get a load to its destination. Our Los Angeles hours of service violation lawyers know the most common types of violations in California from handling other 18-wheeler wrecks.
HOS violations can take several forms, including the following:
- Form and manner violations concern a driver’s lack of adherence to completing daily driving logs
- Outdated logs violations occur when a driver is not keeping current with log entries
- 14-hour rule violations when a driver is not in compliance with logs that must be completed within a 14-hour time frame of the driving period.
- 11-hour rule violations when a driver may be exceeding the drive time limit of 11 hours maximum per shift
- Falsification of records violations when a driver has altered records to look as if he or she was operating within the correct limits
- Missing logs violations when a driver has failed to provide records for the past 7 days
Each violation carries a demerit point system that adds up to fines for violations of HOS rules. Personal injury lawyers can use a history of fines and violations against a trucking company for hiring a negligent or reckless driver. Bodily injury lawyers can also use a repeated history of violations against a truck driver to establish a habit of dangerous driving. Moreover, penalties and traffic tickets imposed in a specific accident could also be used to establish negligence for the subject accident causing injuries to a victim through the use of the doctrine negligence per se.
Ask Our Los Angeles Trucking Accident Lawyers for Help
Unfortunately, many hours of service violations can serve to uncover a driver’s consistent driving outside of regulations, often while being fatigued. This is a risk to other drivers on the roadways. If you have been involved in a truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Contact an experienced Los Angeles hours of service violation lawyer to understand how these violations may further your claim for compensation. For more information and a FREE case review, contact us today at (888) 588-1777. We are ready and willing to help.